background

Thursday, November 1, 2012

FNSI, Boonah Retreat, Gardeners Journal Top

My retreat on the weekend went so quickly that as usual I didn't get as much done as I had hoped so have been working on my Gardener's Journal for the last few days so that I could have the top done by yesterday's finish date.  Well I am pleased to say that I made it and here is the photo to prove it.
My Gardener's Journal quilt top. Now all I have to work out is how to quilt it.
For FNSI at the retreat, I worked on the stitcheries and stitched together some of the pieces in the last block. The stitching in ' Resting in the Garden' seemed to take forever to finish.
Block I
 It was great having the girls from my group sewing along with me.  We had a wonderful time at Boonah.  I didn't get to bed until after midnight on both nights.  I worked on some journal covers, Christmas secret swap stuff which I won't be able to show and of course more stitching for my GJ block. I showed the other girls how to make my journal covers (pattern on Moda Bake Shop).
My journals made with Mama says Sew

Cindy used bright fabric and a crazy patch design

Clair's crazy patch design got everyone wanting to make one.

Jan let the fabric do the work. She quilted it by sewing with gold cotton on the diagonal lines.  It looked very effective and so quick to make as no piecing.

Beryl's journal.
They all look great, don't they?
Most of the girls were working on Secret Garden quilts so I didn't take any pictures as they are still works in progress.  I did take my friend Jan's quilt as she has been working on this for a number of years and has brought it to a few retreats.  This time she got the top finished so well done. The quilt instructions state to cut the fabric, put in containers and then randomly put the blocks together. She has put together a beautiful quilt.
Here it looked like stained glass as the light from the window reflected through it.

The red pieced border just makes the centre pop.

Here are some of us relaxing at morning tea. Lovely carrot cake, banana cake and cheesecake slice.



And above, here we are, machines at the ready.  We have quite a big area to work in which is wonderful.
Well that's about it from me tonight.  Happy Stitching till next time..............

5 comments:

  1. your quilt looks fantastic Noela,and love the journals,well done ladies,glad you enjoyed the retreat.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your gardeners journal top looks wonderful! And those journal covers are all so cool! I really must make one of those! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. your GJ quilt top is beautiful........congrats on finally getting the top done........love the fabrics you choose...........thanks for being part of the SAL...........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Noela your GJ is gorgeous. Lots of wonderful stitching done too. Glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on finishing your GJ top. Still loving the journal covers!

    ReplyDelete