background

Friday, March 27, 2009

Bits & Pieces / Punch Needle Class

This week I managed to put some of the sashing on my first 3 Verandah Views blocks. The blocks go in different parts of the hanging so I am anxious to see how it progresses as more blocks are completed. I decided to use some leftover fabrics from my stash. I love fabrics by 3 Sisters and have bought quite a few of their fabric lines over the years so will mix and match from the bits I have left from other quilts.

The photo below is of the second Fire Appeal Quilt that I have put together for our group to send down to Victoria. It is a combination of applique and stitched blocks each done by one of the ladies from our group. The detail is a bit hard to see but is lovely when you get a close look at it. I used blue and pink for the sashings. I think it turned out quite well, don't you? The room where the photo was taken is my 3rd bedroom where you can find my bear collection. You can just see the bears at the side of the quilt and my bear collector wall-hanging which I stitched some time ago on the other side.


On Thursday, I went to my local quilt shop Homespun and Beautiful for a 3 hour punchneedle class. Here are a couple of photos of my punchneedle project. When finished, it will go on the front of a pouch that holds the punchneedle and the needle threaders (Sorry forgot to include the pattern photo). I thoroughly enjoyed this class and love the look of the design as you fill in more stitches. You draw the design outline on the back of the weavers cloth and then punchneedle from the back. There is a bit of a technique to threading the needle and getting the fabric tight in the hoop but after that it is just a matter of getting a rhythm as you punch and making sure to keep your stitches even. The hoop sits in a holder which is a must have as it frees up your other hand from having to hold the hoop, allows you to turn the hoop in the holder as you work and stops you from stabbing yourself accidently with the needle.

Back side of design.

Right side of design.

I was a bit naughty when I was at the shop doing my class as I couldn't resist buying the bag pattern by Bronwyn Hayes and also the panel with shoes on it. It is by Sandy Gervais and the line is called Objects of Desire. It was our anniversary on Wednesday so I think Chris will forgive me for my extra purchases, I hope.

2 comments:

  1. It will be great to see your punch needle project when its finished. You were a bit naughty but one has to celebrate an anniversary and what better way than in a craft shop.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fabrics you have chosen for Verandah views - just my style too! Thanks for sharing the news about my Shabby Roses BOM giveaway, Noela. Good luck in the draw!
    Hugs,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete